Monday 19 December 2011

Ghosts of Christmas past

Whilst struggling to come up with a Christmas list this year, which is most unlike me, I started to think about all the things I was so desperate for as a kid.  I used to study magazines and catalogues like it was my job and dream of owning almost all of the items on the hair and beauty pages. Here are a few of my most coveted items, some I got and some I didn't.  If only I could put a couple of these on this years list.


This is awesome.  I would trade in my GHD's for these babies any day. Crispy hearts and stars burned into your hair?  Oh hell yeah!  This was an item I didn't ever get my little paws on.  The disappointment remains to this day.  


The item I did own, and love, was my crimper.  My dream was to have hair exactly like Daryl Hannah in Splash.  I never achieved it but was totally satisfied with a crunchy dried out mess and a poker straight fringe.  Super. Stylish. 


Up next was Tinkerbell peel off nail varnish.  This came from the Avon catalogue and was a show stopping bubblegum pink.  Who knew it was so ahead of it's time, Bo-Po (J-Lo, Li-Lo and so on!) brush on, peel off nail varnish only lasted seven seconds, but these were without doubt the most glamourous seven seconds of my eighth year on this planet.


As for smelling sweet at school, there were two options, So....? and ex'cla-ma'tion.  You can still buy these today, so if you fancy smelling like 92'....


Ooh how about some benders? I excitedly received these one Christmas and they were ridiculous.  Trying to apply a head full of benders to yourself was no mean feat, they were hot, like boiling hot. They were made of a type of rubber that caught every last one of your baby hairs and they never sat on your head without un-ravelling.  Ughh, all I wanted was hair like the girl in the picture. The picture was a lie. 

(image via)

This was (is, cough) my dream Christmas present.  My Caboodle make-up case.  Sigh.  This was quite literally my favourite thing I ever owned (aged 9 and 3/4) .  Stuffed full of lip smackers, scrunchies and Bo-Po's I felt like I had arrived, I could finally transport my junk everywhere in style. Now, if only I had somewhere to go...


Oh well, I would grab my Caboodle box add a spritz of Love's Baby soft and get to work on my...

(image via)

Fashion Wheel.  Yup, my Fashion Wheel.  In an hour I could whip up a whole collection of knee length a-lines, four tier full length skirts and puff sleeve shirts all entirely on trend, had it been 1976.  Still it didn't stop me banging them out like a Project Runway contestant.  

I hope these have given you some good ideas for your Christmas lists this year, or just a heartwarming three minutes of nostalgia.

What did little you desperately want for christmas?  Did you have any of the above? 

Oh, and if you had the Conair Impressions my eight year old self is supremely jealous! 

1 comment: